Monday 14 April 2008

Virgin Poker Festival Part 2

After the $500 i was a bit deflated but bought in for the normal Friday night Aspers donkament. 230 runners, so lots of donkeys and bullets to dodge and I got shot early on. So I go sit on a $2/$4 cash game. I sit with $200 and donk that out early on. Tbh no hands of any great note, but managed to turn my reload into abuot $500 then this hand happens. Several limpers so i raise it from the cutoff to $38 with "The Hammer" 7c2c, professional footballer calls, this worries me cos he's a bit of a rock, then early limper a female pro from Birmingham pushes all in for $60. this is an underaise so i call as does the football player. Flop come Kh 7h 3s. Footballer leads out $120, I immediately put him on a flush draw maybe Ah8h or the like, he does like to bet his draws heavy, and i flat call. Any way turn card comes Jc. He bets out $180. I flat call. river comes an eight which worries me but no hearts, he checks, yep busted flush draw now i need to get rid of him in case he has hit a pair, so I make what looks like a value bet of $150, also it leaves me not too much behind so he knows I aint passing if he re-raises. I tell him "You got a busted flush draw, let it go!!!", he calls!!!! I think damn he must have me beat but he shows Ah10h!!!! I win!!!! with 2nd bottom pair, lol. So I win side pot which was considerably bigger than the main pot, which I expected to lose also but the female pro turns over 7d2d!!!! Split pot, lol!!! You gotta love this game sometimes and the deflation of the $500 game is gone and a nice profit is made on the nights cash game.

Next day is the main event. I have lunch with a few of the Aspers regulars, while we wait to see if we get lucky in the raffle for the seats of no shows. there ends up only being 2 seats up for grabs and with odds of 50/1 needless to say I didn't get one.

Next target was to qualify for the next days STT Champions tournament. But couldn;t play many STT's cos waiting list was massive and I came 2nd in 3 STT's consecutively, so no seat for the final for me, but consolation was that for coming 2nd I turned a $75 profit.

At 1am they had a special forum challenge and I was asked to Captain the AWOP Team. WIth everyone pretty drunk by this time it was clear it was going to be difficult to get reads on people. Anyway I only came 8th in my STT, after getting it in AJ vs Q10 and fish hitting Q and then K 10 vs QJ and fish number 2 hitting Q again!!! Oh well. Good results by PsychoDave (2nd) and PK (1st) meant that we beat Blonde Poker and that's all that mattered.

With 3 tournaments running consecutively Sunday was going to make it a busy day in the cardroom. The main event had 50 odd runners starting out on the 2nd day. The STT Champions tournament had 20 and the $60 Terminator had 130. I crashed and burned pretty early on when I flopped 2pr and other guy had flopped a straight. So I decided to hit the cash tables again and what a marathon session that turned out to be.......

No comments: